Diamond Like Carbon Coatings
The Technical Ceramics business of Morgan Advanced Materials offers a range of Diamonex diamond-like carbon (DLC) coatings that can be used to provide a superior wear resistant chemical barrier for metal, ceramic, glass and plastic.
Our polycrystalline and amorphous diamond coating materials are made using advanced chemical vapour deposition (CVD) and physical vapour deposition (PVD) processes.
The benefits of these coatings include:
- Wear and abrasion resistance
- Low friction
- High hardness
- Corrosion resistance
Diamonex DLC coatings can be used as a gas barrier or for conformal coatings, making them an excellent choice for the coating of components in electronics, communications, semiconductor, data storage, optics, automotive, aerospace, and medical applications.
The methods we use to apply our coatings including ion beam direct deposition and a ‘line-of-sight’ process that can be used for flat or semi flat parts. We are able to control the thickness of coating precisely, for optimum performance in your application.
Some commercial and industrial applications of DIAMONEX DLC protective coatings:
- Auto Racing
- Industrial Wear Parts
- Infrared Optics
- Medical/Dental Implants
- Medical/Dental Instruments
- Metal Working
- Ion Beam Direct Deposition
- Flat or semi flat parts
- "Line of Sight" process - part rotation is required
- Precision Control of Thickness & Optical Properties
- Suitable for Plastics-Glass-Metals
RF Plasma CVD:
- Flat or 3-D substrates
- Part rotation not required
- Parts fixtured in a single plane and adequately spaced as each part acts as an RF antenna when electrically charged ("biased").
- Parts typically must be electrically conductive; a relatively thin, flat insulator may be suitable.
- Diamond Like Carbon RF Plasma CVD
DIAMONEX® DLC is a conformal, superhard and low friction coating of an amorphous form of carbon with diamond bonds. Amorphous carbon is a material whose properties resemble, but do not duplicate, those of natural Diamond.
To find out more about how we can work with you on coating your components, contact one of our engineers today.